Copywriting is an art and a skill that is about compelling and intriguing the reader to the point that they want to 1) continue reading and 2) take the action you want them to take. Here are 5 tips to help you write compelling copy:
1) Speak directly to the reader as if they are the only one reading it. Don’t use generalizations. Speak to the exact person that is your ideal client about their exact problems and the exact ways you can help them.
2) Avoid talking about yourself, but instead talk about them. They want to know, “what is in it for me?” They don’t care about you until after they realize you just might be able to help them.
3) Use benefit-driven language instead of telling them the features of what you are offering. A feature that a holistic doctor might offer, for example, is that they provide flexible hours. A benefit that they might offer is that patients with knee pain tend to leave the office after their first visit feeling 50% better. Speak to their emotions!
4) Keep it clear and concise. Honor your readers’ time by not dragging your copy on and on. Arrange the copy so it is easy for people who skim to pick up on the most important parts quickly. Make sure you are clear about your products and services without assuming the reader already has an understanding of what you offer.
5) Always include a call-to-action. Make it very clear what step you want the reader to take in every piece of copy you write. Do you want them to visit your website, sign up for your free e-book, call you to schedule an appointment, etc.
If you want your marketing to be effective, it is imperative that you write compelling copy. Remember that we live in a fast-paced world and you generally have 3 seconds to capture a person’s attention. If you don’t, you lose them. That’s why one of the most important investments you can make is to invest the time to learn effective copywriting or to invest the money to hire a copywriter.